Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is one of our all-time favorite weeknight meals. It is quick, simple to prepare, and makes the house smell wonderful while it is cooking. Be sure to have all the ingredients chopped and ready to go prior to cooking. We like our pasta spicy, but you can control the "heat" with the amount of red pepper flakes you use. Serve with hot, crusty bread dipped in great olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 4 -5 cloves garlic, minced
- salt, freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 medium tomatoes, seeds removed and coarsely chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine or 1⁄2 cup other white wine
- 16 ounces fusilli, preferably tri-color fusilli
- 1 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- Saute bacon in a large skillet until brown and crisp.
- Remove bacon and drain thoroughly on a paper towel.
- Discard all but 2 to 3 tablespoons bacon grease.
- Add chicken and garlic to skillet with reserved bacon grease.
- Saute chicken over medium to high heat until lightly brown and thoroughly cooked.
- Remove chicken to a separate bowl.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Boil pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, saute tomatoes, wine, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes over medium heat in the skillet until tomatoes are softened and sauce is reduced and slightly thick.
- Return chicken to skillet, incorporate into tomatoes, and bring back to simmer.
- Place pasta in a large serving bowl, add chicken-tomato mixture and blend.
- Top with grated parmesan and bacon.
A great recipe for a weeknight meal! We made this with romano cheese substituted for the parmesan and bow ties substituted for the fusilli, but the rich and spicy carbonara sauce triumphed. Delicious!