Rachael Ray made this on her show recently and I can't wait to try it. It sure looks good and healthy. She promoted this as a 15-minute soup.
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 4 chicken breasts, pounded out and cut into bite-sized pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, 3 chopped, 1 for rubbing bread
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can pasta-style chunky tomatoes
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 8 slices Italian bread
- 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat with 2 T of extra-virgin olive oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to pot.
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes, or until just cooked through. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add the other 2 T of extra virgin olive oil along with the chopped garlic, onions and red pepper flakes.
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes. Add tomatoes and the stock, bring to a simmer and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add chicken back to the pot and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped basil and stir to combine.
- While the soup is cooking, drizzle the sliced bread with some extra-virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet and toast until lightly golden, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Rub each piece with the garlic clove and top with parmesan cheese.
- Place back in oven for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve soup topped with 2 pieces of parmesan toast or, if you prefer, put the bread on the bottom and the soup on top.