Chicken Parmigiana with a well-seasoned breading, velvety cheese, and a rich tomato sauce. With adaptations from host and owner Perry Alvarez of Alfredo's Italian Restaurant in Atlanta, GA.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 4 ounces plain breadcrumbs (about 3 slices day-old bread)
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 4 (5 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves, pounded to 1/2-inch thickness
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- canola oil (for frying)
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce (recipe follows)
- 9 ounces slice whole-milk mozzarella cheese
FOR THE TOMATO SAUCE
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, Parmesan and parsley. Set aside. Note: You can use some of the salt and pepper to season the chicken prior to dusting with flour. If so, cut back on adding to the breading mixture.
- 2Dust each slice of chicken with the flour, then dip in eggs, then dip in the bread crumb mixture, pressing the crumbs into both sides of the chicken. In a large skillet over medium heat, add oil. Saute the breaded chicken until golden brown on both sides. Pat dry with paper towels.
- 3Spread 1/2 cup Tomato Sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Top with the browned chicken, then top each breast with 1/4 cup of sauce. Spread evenly, then top each breast with 2 slices of mozzarella. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until cheese is lightly browned.
- 4FOR TOMATO SAUCE:.
- 5In a saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil. Saute the garlic, onion, carrot and celery until tender. Add the crushed tomatoes and cook until flavors are blended, about 15 to 20 minutes, adding water a tablespoon at a time if sauce is too thick. Stir in the basil and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Note: It may be necessary to add up to 1/2 cup of water to dilute the sauce, depending on how thick it is.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Parmigiana
Serving Size: 1 (652 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 727.9
- Calories from Fat 243
- Total Fat 27.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 236.4 mg
- Sodium 1917.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 60.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh Italian parsley