Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Italian style chicken in a very tasty tomato sauce topped with melted cheese.
- oil (for deep frying)
- 4 chicken breast fillets, skin removed
- breadcrumbs, plain flour and 2 eggs for coating chicken
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon mixed Italian herbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 cup ready-made italian pasta sauce (Paul Newman's is good)
- 4 slices ham
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated tasty cheese
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, extra for topping
- Add Italian spices and 2 tbs parmesan cheese to breadcrumbs and mix.
- Add salt and pepper to flour and mix.
- Crumb chicken by coating in flour, then dipping in beaten egg and finally coating in breadcrumbs.
- Refrigerate for about half an hour.
- Heat oil and deep fry the crumbed breasts until cooked and golden.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Place chicken on a greased oven tray and arrange ham on top.
- Generously spread tomato sauce over ham and top with tasty cheese and extra parmesan.
- Place in a moderate low oven, about 150 degrees celsius until cheese is melted and golden.
- Serve with a salad and garlic bread.
This was wonderful, a real crowd pleasure, thank you!!