An enlightened version of a traditional family favorite- uses minimal fat while adding whole wheat pasta and baby spinach to this enlightening dish
- 9 ounces dry whole wheat spaghetti, uncooked
- 1 1⁄2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute, with yolk
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (26 1/2 ounce) can spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 (6 ounce) package baby spinach leaves
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions omitting salt. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread breadcrumbs evenly on a baking sheet.
- Spray with cooking spray.
- Bake 5-7 minutes or until crumbs are golden brown. emove from baking sheet, and cool.
- Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees.
- Combine bread crumbs, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, salt and pepper in a shallow dish, and set aside.
- Pour egg beaters into second shallow dish and set aside.
- Spray baking rack with cooking spray, and place on baking sheet, and set aside.
- Dip each chicken breasts in egg beaters, then coat with seasoned bread crumbs. lace on baking rack, and lightly spray chicken with cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Top each chicken breasts with 2 tablespoons of spaghetti sauce, and 2 teaspoons cheese.
- Bake for 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Heat remaining spaghetti sauce in large saucepan over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes, or until hot.
- Add spinach and cook 2 minutes, or until spinach wilts.
- Add cooked spaghetti, and toss to coat with sauce.
- Continue heating until hot.
- PLace spaghetti mixture on serving platter, and top with chicken.
- Serve immediately.
Great recipe! I didn't have egg beaters so I used regular eggs. Otherwise didn't change a thing.
Great recipe for chicken parmesan! Flavorful and easy to make, loved that the chicken is baked and not fried. The spinach in the sauce was a great addition too. Made as directed and wouldn't change a thing - thanks for sharing the recipe!
Good and easy to make. I followed the recipe as written other then I added mozzarella cheese. We all enjoyed this.