1/1 Photo of Chicken Parmesan Penne Pasta Toss
This is something I saw Rachael Ray make on her show and made it for dinner that night. It is simple and delicious. I loved that I had all the ingredients on hand as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb whole wheat penne
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped into bite-size pieces (could use boneless and skinless chicken thighs)
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- fresh ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 pints grape tomatoes
- 2 cups basil, chopped
- 3 cups baby arugula or 3 cups Baby Spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, shredded
- 1Fill a large pasta pot with water and place it over high heat.
- 2Once the water comes up to a boil, salt it and drop in the pasta.
- 3Cook the pasta to al dente according to package directions.
- 4Before draining the pasta, reserve a mugful of starchy cooking water, then drain and reserve.
- 5While the water is coming up to a boil, place a large skillet over high heat with 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- 6Season the chicken pieces with the poultry seasoning, salt and pepper then add it to the preheated skillet.
- 7Cook the chicken until golden brown and cooked through, 3-4 minutes per side.
- 8Once the chicken is brown, add the garlic and onions to the pan, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 9Add the tomatoes and cover the pan with a lid.
- 10Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes burst open and begin to release their juices, about 5 minutes (if they haven’t started to burst open by that time, mash them lightly with a potato masher or wooden spoon). Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- 11Add the drained pasta and reserved starchy cooking water (about 1 cup) to the skillet with the chicken and tomatoes, and toss over the heat until combined, about 1 minute.
- 12Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the basil, arugula or spinach, and cheese.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Parmesan Penne Pasta Toss
Serving Size: 1 (483 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 756.1
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 80.2 mg
- Sodium 442.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.8 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 53.2 g