Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is something I saw Rachael Ray make on her show and made it for dinner that night. It is simple and delicious. I loved that I had all the ingredients on hand as well.
- 1 lb whole wheat penne
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped into bite-size pieces (could use boneless and skinless chicken thighs)
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- fresh ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 pints grape tomatoes
- 2 cups basil, chopped
- 3 cups baby arugula or 3 cups Baby Spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, shredded
- Fill a large pasta pot with water and place it over high heat.
- Once the water comes up to a boil, salt it and drop in the pasta.
- Cook the pasta to al dente according to package directions.
- Before draining the pasta, reserve a mugful of starchy cooking water, then drain and reserve.
- While the water is coming up to a boil, place a large skillet over high heat with 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Season the chicken pieces with the poultry seasoning, salt and pepper then add it to the preheated skillet.
- Cook the chicken until golden brown and cooked through, 3-4 minutes per side.
- Once the chicken is brown, add the garlic and onions to the pan, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes burst open and begin to release their juices, about 5 minutes (if they haven’t started to burst open by that time, mash them lightly with a potato masher or wooden spoon). Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Add the drained pasta and reserved starchy cooking water (about 1 cup) to the skillet with the chicken and tomatoes, and toss over the heat until combined, about 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the basil, arugula or spinach, and cheese.
We thought this was just okay, nothing that special. Probably won't make again.
Nice blend of flavors! I only used 2 oz. of pasta per person. I omitted the salt and used the spinach option. Thanks for sharing!
Mmm, this is tasty! It is rich and flavourful and easy to make. This recipe could easily feed 6, maybe 8. I used some pure basil paste because I had no fresh basil and I used the baby spinach. I love tomatoes but there were a lot, so I used about 1 1/3 pints. I made this for Photo Tag. Thanks!