- 1 lb whole wheat penne
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped into bite-size pieces (could use boneless and skinless chicken thighs)
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- fresh ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 pints grape tomatoes
- 2 cups basil, chopped
- 3 cups baby arugula or 3 cups Baby Spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill a large pasta pot with water and place it over high heat.
- Once the water comes up to a boil, salt it and drop in the pasta.
- Cook the pasta to al dente according to package directions.
- Before draining the pasta, reserve a mugful of starchy cooking water, then drain and reserve.
- While the water is coming up to a boil, place a large skillet over high heat with 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Season the chicken pieces with the poultry seasoning, salt and pepper then add it to the preheated skillet.
- Cook the chicken until golden brown and cooked through, 3-4 minutes per side.
- Once the chicken is brown, add the garlic and onions to the pan, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes burst open and begin to release their juices, about 5 minutes (if they haven’t started to burst open by that time, mash them lightly with a potato masher or wooden spoon). Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Add the drained pasta and reserved starchy cooking water (about 1 cup) to the skillet with the chicken and tomatoes, and toss over the heat until combined, about 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the basil, arugula or spinach, and cheese.