Recipe by Christmas Carol
Penne pasta, Italian-breaded chicken slices, fresh mozzarella, grape tomatoes and kalamata olives dressed in a saucy tomato vinaigrette and topped with shredded Parmesan cheese. The recipe calls for packaged fully-cooked breaded chicken, but if you have the time I'd suggest preparing them fresh--Italian Breaded Chicken Breasts looks like a good choice. You can even cut the chicken into slices before breading them. (Don't forget to add the oregano!) This pasta salad is hearty enough for dinner with a side of garlic bread. Recipe is adapted from Woman's World magazine.
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (12 ounce) packageitalian breaded chicken cutlets (fully cooked)
- 1⁄2 cup bottled olive oil-and-vinegar dressing (good quality, like Newman's Own)
- 1⁄4 cup pizza sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups grape tomatoes, halved (7 oz.)
- 8 ounces bocconcini, halved (mini mozzarella balls)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup pitted kalamata olive, halved
- 1⁄4 cup shredded parmesan cheese (more, if you wish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta to al dente according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 425°F Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Press oregano onto both sides of chicken. Place on sheet and bake, turning once, 5-6 minutes per side. Cool; cut into 1/2 inch wide slices.
- In a serving bowl, combine dressing, sauce and salt. Add pasta mixture, chicken, tomatoes, bocconcini, basil and olives; toss to combine. Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese. Serve with garlic bread.