Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
If you love flavor of chicken parmesan, you can enjoy it even on a busy weeknight with this easy pasta casserole! Seasoned ground chicken is paired with marinara, pasta, and cheese for a satisfying dinner. (Originally published at wearychef.com)
- 16 ounces of bite-sized pasta
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 ounces marinara sauce
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, and drain.
- While pasta cooks, spray a 12" skillet or dutch oven with cooking spray, and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion, chicken, salt, a few grinds of pepper, and garlic. Saute until onion is tender and chicken is cooked through. Stir in marinara sauce, and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a glass bowl in the microwave until melted. Stir bread crumbs and basil into the melted butter, and set aside.
- Turn off heat on the sauce. Stir in cooked pasta and mozzarella cubes, and transfer pasta mixture to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle buttery bread crumbs over the pasta, and sprinkle parmesan cheese over that.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until topping is golden brown.