Prep 15 mins
Cook 26 mins
This could also be made with veal or eggplant.
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- marinara sauce, as needed
- mozzarella cheese, as needed
- In a pie plate put the flour, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In a second pie plate put the eggs and water. Beat together with a fork and set aside.
- In a third pie plate put the seasoned break crumbs and the panko (Japanese bread crumbs). Stir to combine and set aside.
- In a large nonstick frying pan put the oil and butter and heat over medium heat until the butter melts.
- Wash one chicken breast under cold running water and then dip in the flour mixture, covering well.
- Next, dip the chicken in the egg mixture.
- Finally, dip the chicken in the bread crumbs and then put into the frying pan.
- Repeat with 1-2 more chicken breast pieces and then fry until the chicken breasts are golden on both sides and a fork pierced into the meat shows that the meat is tender and cooked through.
- As the chicken pieces cook, remove the cooked pieces and add more to the pan until you have cooked 4-6 chicken breast pieces.
- To plate put a little marinara sauce on the plate. Top with a piece of cooked chicken. Top with some more marinara sauce, fresh chopped basil and the mozzarella cheese on the very top. Either broil in the oven or heat in the microwave just until the cheese melts.
- Serve at once with pasta on the side.
- Note: I usually either buy thin slices of chicken breast, buy chicken breast pieces that are not very fat, or pound the chicken breasts to flatten them.