Recipe by NicolinaSurel
Okay it sounds silly, right? I find it hard to fry the chicken breasts because they're different thicknesses from one end to the other. I just cut them into bite sized cubes and continue on with the recipe. My mom likes it with pasta under it, but I really just like it with a nice salad and some cheesey bread. Add as much or as little as you like; this is just a basic, tasty recipe. Enjoy. :o)
Top Review by devnzac
This is sooooooo yummy! I made a huge batch of this and it came out great. We have a deep fryer so we used that to fry. I placed some whole wheat rigatoni in the bottom of the pan and then the meat, sauce and cheese on the top baked until melted I doubled the recipe so that I could make another pan and freeze it. They both came out great. Even after 2 weeks in the freezer. This is a great make-ahead meal too! My boys are 10 & 15 and they both loved it as well.
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless skinless, cubed into bite sized pieces
- newman's own marinara sauce (or whichever one you're comfortable with)
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, and extra to fry chicken in
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- egg wash (eggs beaten in water or milk)
- mozzarella cheese
- parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- angel hair pasta (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut chicken into cubes. Lay out flour, egg wash, and bread crumbs in an assembly line. Season bread crumbs with some Oregano, salt, and pepper. Coat chicken cubes in flour, egg, and bread crumbs respectfully. Coat the bottom of your pan in olive oil and fry until done.
- Saute onion and garlic in the tablespoons of olive oil and butter in a medium sauce pan. Add the jar of sauce. Heat until simmering. Add the can of tomatoes, perhaps some canned or jarred mushrooms, and the oregano. Salt and pepper to taste. Heat through.
- In a cake pan or ramekins or whatever oven safe dish you have handy, layer the chicken, sauce, and cheeses until evenly covered and distributed. Cook in the oven until the cheese is melted and the sauce has thickened (about thirty minutes).
- Enjoy. Serve with pasta, a salad, cottage cheese, or steamed veggies. :).