Recipe by Sandi (From CA)
This is, without question, the best chicken parmesan I've ever had. It's from Aaron McCargo, Jr of The Next Food Network Star competition. I love the way he seasons the chicken itself as well as the panko, making sure you *get* the seasonings instead of them falling off into the oil. The white sauce takes this completely over the top. Just when you think you've died and gone to blissful heaven, another dimension of magnificent flavor graces your awaiting tongue. Use your favorite store-bought marinara. I used Classico Cabernet Marinara with Herbs and it was DEEE-vine! I also used far less oil than Aaron's suggested 2 quarts and halved the recipe which turned out just fine. Diet, SCHMY-ET!
Top Review by ihvhope
This is company worthy. We really enjoyed the flavors with this recipe with the white sauce giving this another level of yum! I don't use Panko very often but they are a must because nothing else stays this crispy. Thank you!
- canola oil, for deep-frying (about 1-inch)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 4 (6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts (pounded thin)
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 quart marinara sauce
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
FOR WHITE SAUCE
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil to 350 degrees F.
- Mix all seasonings together then divide into 2 parts.
- Season chicken breast with half of the seasoning on both sides.
- Add the remaining seasoning and 3 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley to panko bread crumbs and mix.
- Dip chicken in flour, then in eggs, then in bread crumbs.
- Fry chicken until golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- For the white sauce, heat the garlic and heavy cream in a medium saucepan, until simmering.
- Turn off heat, add butter, and whisk vigorously until fully incorporated.
- Add 1 tablespoon fresh parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer the marinara sauce in saucepan over medium heat.
- Place 2 slices of mozzarella cheese on each breast.
- Pour the warmed marinara sauce over the cheese, drizzle with white sauce and serve.