Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
We really love this dish when everything else gets a little boring! We serve it on a bed of fettuccine or spaghetti with the extra sauce(in the baking pan & from the jar if you do not use it all) & garlic bread...gotta have the garlic bread!And if we are REALLY hungry or having company a caesar salad is nice too to strech things a little further!
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves (I usually just use boneless, skinless breasts,have made up to four whole pieces before)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- basil or oregano or italian seasoning, if desired (to your own taste)
- 1 jar of your favourite pasta sauce (We like Healthy Choices Garlic Lovers with fine herbs, you can also use 1 14 oz. can of tomato sauce)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or more!)
- parmesan cheese, for sprinkling if desired
- Mix breadcrumbs& 3 tbsp.
- parmesan cheese.
- (I usually sprinkle in some basil, oregano& garlic powder or Italian Seasoning if i have it, so i suppose you could even just use the Italian flavoured crumbs instead! I just usually always seem to have plain crumbs on hand as i have more uses for them) Dip chicken pieces in egg then in breadcrumb mixture.
- Pan fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Put pieces in baking dish and spread enough pasta sauce over to cover to your liking.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese& additional parmesan cheese if desired.
- (I also sprinkle a little basil& oregano over top of the cheese too!).
- Bake at 350 for up to an hour or until chicken is cooked through and the top is slightly browned and the cheese is melted to your liking. Sometimes if mine starts browning too quickly I cover with foil until done.
same recipe that I have used in the past-absolutely the best!! I used italian bread crumbs instead of plain (i added onion powder and garlic powder in with the crumbs). I used a spaghetti sauce that had italian sausage-i think Prego maybe? It adds an extra ZING--perfect.
Very Tasty. I added finely chopped parsely into the bread crumbs. MMMMM
This was wonderful and easy. My husband raved about it all evening. This recipe is a keeper. The chicken turned out very good and moist.