Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
I couldn't quite find this exact recipe, so I decided to post it. It's my husbands absolute favorite meal that I make. I found it years ago in a Five Stare Recipe Cooking Light cookbook. It isn't exactly quick and easy, like I'm used to making, so I usually make it for a special occassion when I have a little more time to prepare. It also gets easier the more you make it.
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes, diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces boneless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 lb pasta, of your choice
- Place chopped onion and garlic in a medium saucepan coated with cooking spray; cover and cook over low heat 15 minutes or until tender. Add tomato and next 4 ingredients, simmer uncoverred for 45 minutes, set mixture aside.
- Place each chicken breast between 2 sheets of heavy duty plastic wrap. Flatten chicken to 1/8" thickness, using a meat mallet or a rolling pin.
- Combine flour and parmesan in a shallow dish. Dip each piece of chix in egg white, dredge in flour mixture. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Add chicken; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Arrange chicken in an 11x7x2 inch baking dish or in individual gratin dishes coated with spray. Pour tomato mixture evenly over chicken, and sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until heated through.
I've now made this 3x for my boyfriend and I who love putting it on french bread rolls for sandwiches. I decided to make it for my parents and brother, and also got rave reviews. It is a unique take on ordinary chicken parmesan. A bit more time consuming, but turns out fine even if you don't leave it simmering on the stovetop as long.
AWESOME!!! I made this last night and both my husband and I LOVED it!!! It wasn't as time consuming as i thought it was going to be and well worth the effort as it is now our favorite dish! I added mushrooms to the mix right before I baked it and that was yummy. Thank you for the recipe!