I've been making this for years and I can not remember when someone has not asked for the recipe. Note: you can't go overboard on the flour or breadcrumbs, since the chicken will only take whatever amount it needs to be coated
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour (depends on size of chicken breasts)
- 1 1⁄2 cups seasoned bread crumbs (depends on size of chicken breasts)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese (the very finely pre-shredded from the grocery store works best, divided)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- With a mallet pound chicken to 1/4 inch.
- Dredge in flour.
- Coat in egg mixture.
- Shake off excess and coat in bread crumbs mixed with 1/4 cup of the parmesan cheese.
- Place in casserole sprayed or coated with oil.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Spread some tomato sauce combined with the basil on top of each chicken breast.
- Cover with mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle with with the remaining 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- Use any remaining tomato sauce to cover the edges of the chicken as they cook faster.
- Place back in oven and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve with penne (or your favourite pasta) alfredo and a salad and garlic bread.