Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 mins
A chicken recipe that uses cooked chicken breast for an easy dinner. Copied from an unknown library cookbook.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced and cooked
- 2 (10 ounce) frozen broccoli
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 ounces button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 10 1⁄2 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Place the chicken in the bottom of a 10-inch pie plate.
- Top each slice with several pieces of broccoli.
- Sprinkle with half the cheese.
- Top with mushrooms.
- Melt the butter over low heat in a small saucepan.
- Blend in the flour and pepper.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk.
- Bring the milk mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, boil for 1 minute.
- Stir in nutmeg, soup and Worcestershire.
- Pour this mixture over the broccoli. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Broil until the top is light brown and bubbly. 3 to 5 minutes.
If you like the taste of chicken casserole you will LOVE this! My son is on a strict diet and we are always looking for inventive ways to serve protein...This was a HIT at our house...even my daughter who doesn't care for any kind of meat asked to take the leftovers for lunch the next day...the only adjustment I made was instead of frozen broccoli I used fresh and just cooked it for a few minutes on the stovetop in chicken broth. This is a definate do over in our house!!