Recipe by Barb in WNY
A chicken recipe that uses cooked chicken breast for an easy dinner. Copied from an unknown library cookbook.
Top Review by ispeak4u2
If you like the taste of chicken casserole you will LOVE this! My son is on a strict diet and we are always looking for inventive ways to serve protein...This was a HIT at our house...even my daughter who doesn't care for any kind of meat asked to take the leftovers for lunch the next day...the only adjustment I made was instead of frozen broccoli I used fresh and just cooked it for a few minutes on the stovetop in chicken broth. This is a definate do over in our house!!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced and cooked
- 2 (10 ounce) frozen broccoli
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 ounces button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 10 1⁄2 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the chicken in the bottom of a 10-inch pie plate.
- Top each slice with several pieces of broccoli.
- Sprinkle with half the cheese.
- Top with mushrooms.
- Melt the butter over low heat in a small saucepan.
- Blend in the flour and pepper.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk.
- Bring the milk mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, boil for 1 minute.
- Stir in nutmeg, soup and Worcestershire.
- Pour this mixture over the broccoli. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Broil until the top is light brown and bubbly. 3 to 5 minutes.