1/3 Photos of Chicken Paprikash With Spaetzle
1 hr 5 mins
Mark Kovach's Note:
A famous Hungarian dish with the trimmings (dumplings!).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -3 lb chicken parts
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons butter (your choice) or 2 tablespoons margarine (your choice)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 -6 cups water
- chicken bouillon cube (not necessary with large amt of chicken) (optional)
- 1 (8 -16 ounce) container sour cream
- 1OK let's be Hungarian.
- 2Firstly we don't call the dumplings "spaetzle" but I can't spell the word that Grandma always used so I've borrowed the German term.
- 3Start by heating the oil in a large pot and browning your chicken parts.
- 4Remove the chicken and add the butter or margarine to the pot.
- 5Sauté the onion in the melted butter until transparent.
- 6Add paprika, chicken, and water, bring to a boil then reduce to simmer for 45 minutes.
- 7Chicken should be very tender and about to fall off bones.
- 8Remove chicken to bowl.
- 9Add enough fresh water to pot to bring back to original level.
- 10Check flavor of broth.
- 11If flavor is weak add enough bullion to produce a well flavored broth.
- 12Bring broth to boil.
- 13Combine flour, salt, and pepper with eggs (the more eggs the richer the batter but two is OK) to form a thick batter.
- 14Now comes the tricky (and boring) part.
- 15Drop batter in boiling broth in 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon amounts until all batter is in pot and cooked.
- 16Spaetzle is cooked when it floats on surface.
- 17You may need to remove some to get it all in the pot.
- 18With all spaetzle cooked and in pot you now add your sour cream to broth. The amount is individual according to how creamy you wish the sauce to become (and how much water you started with).
- 19At this point I usually add about three tablespoons of flour mixed with one cup of water to thicken the broth. Sorry I omitted this step in the original submission.
- 20The sauce and spaetzle is the best part of this dish so be sure to make enough! They will be coming back for seconds on that part of the dish.
- 21One of the most surprising things about this dish is it actually tastes better the second day. Sooo if you are making it for a special dinner prepare it the day before and simply reheat it one half hour before serving.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Paprikash With Spaetzle
Serving Size: 1 (262 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 714.7
- Calories from Fat 340
- Total Fat 37.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.6 g
- Cholesterol 227.4 mg
- Sodium 226.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 38.7 g