Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My mom made this all the time when I was growing up and it became an official comfort food of our family, a Devine staple.
- 1 frying chicken (cut up, or 3 lbs. chicken breasts (split)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 8 ounces medium noodles (we use whole grain egg noodles, or spaetzle works great too)
- boiling salted water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion (we use red)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (13 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 cups sour cream, dairy
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Wash and dry chicken pieces; if desired, breast sections may be boned. Melt the butter in a large heavy skillet, add the chicken pieces and sauté until they are lightly browned. Cook the medium noodles in boiling salted water, according to package directions, until tender.
- Drain well and return to saucepan. Remove browned chicken to a plate and add the chopped onions to the skillet. Sauté over low heat until onion is soft. Stir in the flour, paprika, and salt and gradually blend in the chicken broth, stirring to keep smooth.
- Cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens. Blend in the sour cream and Worcestershire sauce. Combine half this sauce with the cooked noodles and transfer to a shallow casserole (3 qt.). Top with browned chicken pieces, and spoon remaining sauce over the chicken. Bake in a moderately slow oven (325) for one hour or until the chicken is tender.