Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 18 mins
A great Hungarian meal. My Italian Grandmother use to make this for my Hungarian Grandfather. This is how I remembered how it was made.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into parts
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1 large onion, sliced thick
- vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb linguine
- -Ina large pot place in enough oil to brown chicken pieces on both sides (only for a few minutes on each side).
- -Afteryou browned the chicken add enough water to go over chicken (around an inch over chicken).
- Add Salt and Pepper.
- -Addin onions.
- Bring to a boil then let simmer until chicken in tender and done (around an hour).
- -Removechicken and set aside.
- -Addthe Paprika to pot then stir in Sour Cream.
- -Placecooked chicken back into pot and cook around 30 minutes more (until you get the thickness of the sauce you like).
- -Addover cooked Linguini.
- If you like to save a few calories use Light Sour Cream or Yogurt.
This is the recipe that I have always used...taught to me by my Austrian mother. But, my children won't have chicken if it is on the bone, so instead of putting the chicken back into the skillet, I take the meat off the bone and put it aside until the sauce is thickened. Once the sauce is thickened, I add cooked thick egg noodles and the chicken meat. I turns out to be a chicken paprikash casserole. My kids LOVE it and it is eaten as fast as I can make it. Try it this way if you have a picky eater in your family!
I have tried various versions of this, but this one is the BEST! THANK YOU PHIL! We LOVE it!
I enjoyed this dish very much. I used hot Hungarian Paprika.