Russ Wells's Note:
Hungarian dish that my grandmother made. Good meal that just about everyone likes. Easy to make, although you will use alot of dishes. Spatzels make the meal!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook slowly 8 slices of Bacon in electric skillet until crisp and brown.
- 2Remove the bacon strips and add 1/4 cup of finely chopped onion.
- 3Cook Onion until transparent.
- 4Remove onion from skillet.
- 5Cut Chicken breast into serving size pieces of chicken.
- 6Cut 1 breast into thirds.
- 7In a gallon size sealable plastic bag, place 3/4 cup of flour, 1 1/2 teas salt and 1 1/2 teas of paprika.
- 8Shake to mix ingredients.
- 9Place chicken in bag, shake to coat.
- 10Brown chicken in bacon grease.
- 11Reduce heat and add 2 cups of chicken stock or bullion.
- 12Cover pan and cook chicken until tender.
- 13In a saucepan melt 4 tablespoons of butter, blend in 4 tablespoons of flour.
- 14Heat until mixture bubbles.
- 15Stir constantly.
- 16Remove from heat, add 2 cups of chicken stock or broth, 1 1/3 cups of milk, 3 tablespoons of paprika.
- 17When throughly heated, low heat.
- 18Stirring vigorously with a whisk, beater or a fork add 3 cups of sour cream in small amounts to the sauce.
- 19When sauce and sour cream are mixed add crushed bacon and onion to sauce.
- 20Pour sauce over chicken in the skillet.
- 21Heat 3-5 minutes.
- 22Turn off heat and let it sit for 1 hour.
- 23Reheat before serving.
- 24Sprinkle with paprika.
- 25Serve over Spatzle.
- 26Recipe for Spatzels: For each person at the meal use 1 cup flour, 1 egg, 1/2 teas salt.
- 27Add water to mixture to create a very thick batter that will break with a spoon.
- 28Drop small amounts of batter (spoon size) into boiling salted water.
- 29Boil gently for 5-8 minutes.
- 30Drain and toss with butter so they won't stick together.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Paprikash
Serving Size: 1 (635 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1611.2
- Calories from Fat 645
- Total Fat 71.7 g
- Saturated Fat 34.4 g
- Cholesterol 468.4 mg
- Sodium 1072.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 140.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 94.3 g