Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 2 teaspoons hot Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons bacon fat or 3 tablespoons lard
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup chopped chopped seeded peeled tomatoes
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- herbed spaetzle noodles
- Season the chicken with 2 tablespoons of the sweet and 1 teaspoon of the hot paprika, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Melt the butter in a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and remaining tablespoon of sweet paprika, 1 teaspoon of hot paprika, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until golden, about 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 1 minute.
- Add enough stock to cover the chicken and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, cover, and simmer until the chicken is tender and cooked through, about 25 minutes, adding more stock as needed.
- Uncover and add the sour cream.
- Cook gently until incorporated and warmed through, about 2 minutes.
- Season, to taste.
- To serve, divide the spaetzle among 4 large plates, spoon the chicken and sauce over the noodles, and serve immediately.