Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A Traditional Hungarian or German dish, depending on how you accompany it. Very Filling.
- 1 whole chicken (cut into pieces)
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 29.58 ml paprika
- 59.16 ml butter
- 1 can chicken broth
- 59.16 ml sour cream
- 118.29 ml flour (optional)
- Melt Butter in a large pot or dutch oven.
- Stir in Paprika to butter.
- Sautee the onions in the paprika butter solution, then temporarily remove them.
- It may be necessary to add an additional Tablespoon of butter to the solution.
- Brown the chicken in the butter.
- Add the chicken broth, re-add the onions and simmer for one hour, covered.
- After the solution is fully cooked, add in the sour cream.
- You may also add in the flour to thicken the gravy.
- This dish is often served with the German pasta,'Spaetzels' or with the Hungarian'Halousky'.
- This meal is exceptionally filling with the Spaetzels.
This is excellent. A new family favorite. Only changes I made was using all chicken breasts and I made a slurry with 1/4 cup of flour and added to sauce before adding sour cream. I served over wide egg noodles.
Im hungarian. this recipe is not the traditional hungarian food. with butter you're not getting the same taste. Originally the sour cream is not on it. you put the sour cream on when you serve it, or if you like it with it. this isn't the hungarian chicken paprikas.
Made this for Father's day with spaetzle. The whole family Loved it! Great chicken! Thank you! UPDATE: Just have to update...was in a hurry to get to ball game and had chicken out. My daughter requested "that german chicken". Browned the chicken and put it all in the crockpot on high for 4 hours. Was perfect when we got home!