Recipe by Brent Bowser
A Traditional Hungarian or German dish, depending on how you accompany it. Very Filling.
Top Review by Tarynne
This is excellent. A new family favorite. Only changes I made was using all chicken breasts and I made a slurry with 1/4 cup of flour and added to sauce before adding sour cream. I served over wide egg noodles.
- 1 whole chicken (cut into pieces)
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 can chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup flour (optional)
- Melt Butter in a large pot or dutch oven.
- Stir in Paprika to butter.
- Sautee the onions in the paprika butter solution, then temporarily remove them.
- It may be necessary to add an additional Tablespoon of butter to the solution.
- Brown the chicken in the butter.
- Add the chicken broth, re-add the onions and simmer for one hour, covered.
- After the solution is fully cooked, add in the sour cream.
- You may also add in the flour to thicken the gravy.
- This dish is often served with the German pasta,'Spaetzels' or with the Hungarian'Halousky'.
- This meal is exceptionally filling with the Spaetzels.