Recipe by Dorie's Lori
I came up with this one night after being inspired by a bunch of other recipes, and it was so delicious that I had to write it down and share it. It was also pretty easy. Serve this over buttered noodles.
Top Review by dianegrapegrower
Delicious! I used chicken breasts and cut into bite sized pieces. Otherwise made exactly to the recipe. Next time I make this, I may add a little garlic with the onion. Served over smashed potatoes with green salad.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 big onion, diced (huge)
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground caraway
- black pepper
- 10 skinless chicken thighs, fat traces removed
- 4 plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups chicken stock, approx
- 3⁄4-1 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, heat the oil and sauté the onion until translucent.
- Add the green pepper, cook for 5 minutes or so, and add the mushrooms.
- Cook until the mushrooms are just softened.
- Add the paprika, caraway, pepper and salt (if you are not using salty stock, such as bullion cubes.)
- Stir and add the chicken thighs and mix.
- Add the tomatoes and enough stock to mostly cover the chicken.
- Cover and simmer slowly for approximately 45 minutes.
- The chicken should be falling off the bone, very tender.
- Remove the chicken to a deep serving plate that has been warmed.
- Reduce the stock a bit if it looks like it will be too much sauce.
- Mix some stock fully into the sour cream to thin it a bit, and then mix the sour cream into the rest of the stock.
- Heat until hot, but Do Not Boil.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken, and serve over buttered egg noodles.
- Miscellaneous Notes:.
- Use 8 thighs if very large. "Bone in" is great.
- Canned tomatoes are fine, as are bouillon cubes for the stock (in which case, don’t add salt until the end, after you taste) and low-fat sour cream.
- The prep time includes chopping and sauteing the veggies, and making the sauce at the end.