1/2 Photos of Chicken Paprikash
1 hr 15 mins
Dorie's Lori's Note:
I came up with this one night after being inspired by a bunch of other recipes, and it was so delicious that I had to write it down and share it. It was also pretty easy. Serve this over buttered noodles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large pot, heat the oil and sauté the onion until translucent.
- 2Add the green pepper, cook for 5 minutes or so, and add the mushrooms.
- 3Cook until the mushrooms are just softened.
- 4Add the paprika, caraway, pepper and salt (if you are not using salty stock, such as bullion cubes.)
- 5Stir and add the chicken thighs and mix.
- 6Add the tomatoes and enough stock to mostly cover the chicken.
- 7Cover and simmer slowly for approximately 45 minutes.
- 8The chicken should be falling off the bone, very tender.
- 9Remove the chicken to a deep serving plate that has been warmed.
- 10Reduce the stock a bit if it looks like it will be too much sauce.
- 11Mix some stock fully into the sour cream to thin it a bit, and then mix the sour cream into the rest of the stock.
- 12Heat until hot, but Do Not Boil.
- 13Pour the sauce over the chicken, and serve over buttered egg noodles.
- 14Miscellaneous Notes:.
- 15Use 8 thighs if very large. "Bone in" is great.
- 16Canned tomatoes are fine, as are bouillon cubes for the stock (in which case, don’t add salt until the end, after you taste) and low-fat sour cream.
- 17The prep time includes chopping and sauteing the veggies, and making the sauce at the end.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Paprikash
Serving Size: 1 (370 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 367.0
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 132.6 mg
- Sodium 281.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 33.4 g