Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A low fat, high protein take on a great comfort food. I can't remember where I got the recipe, but I'm posting here for safe keeping. If you aren't concerned with calories or fat, you may wish to use regular sour cream for better flavor.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded, thinly sliced
- 4 -6 teaspoons paprika (preferably imported, Hungarian, to taste)
- 1 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley (optional)
- Wash and dry the chicken breasts and trim off any fat. Cut the breasts across the grain on the diagonal into 1/4 inch slices. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in large nonstick saute pan or skillet. Add onion, garlic, and peppers and cook over medium heat until the veggies are very soft and just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the paprika and tomato after 3 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and saute for 1 minute. Stir in the bay leaf, stock, and most of the sour cream, reserving 2 T for garnish. Gently simmer until chicken is cooked and the sauce is nicely thickened, about 10 minutes. Discard the bay leaf and add salt, pepper and paprika to taste.
- Transfer the paprikas to plates or to a platter. Garnish with dollops of sour cream sprinkled with paprika or parsley. Serve over noodles or rice.