Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is an old recipe from my m-i-l. It's really good. I serve it with homemade smashed potatos with the skin on:) I had trouble with the salt orig. so I had to tinker with the recipe (it was super salty for my tastes). So...salt to your hearts content to make it the way you like it:)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 chicken legs, with the thighs attached
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth or 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 pint sour cream
- 1⁄2 pint sweet cream or 1⁄2 pint half-and-half
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven,brown onion in oil.
- Add chicken and brown the skin.
- Add seasonings to the chicken and stir.
- Add broth and cover.
- Simmer until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken.
- Add sour cream and sweet cream to the pan drippings and mix well. Add the chicken back to the pan to keep warm.
I loved it. Served it with egg noodles . . . it came out sorta like a chicken stroganoff. My husband thought that it might need more paprika, but I thought it was perfect.