- 3 -4 tablespoons freshly rendered lard or 3 -4 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- 3 yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 1⁄2 lbs roasting chickens, cut into 8 serving pieces
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 anaheim green peppers or 2 cubanelle green peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a 6-quart heavy stove-top casserole and add the lard or oil and paprika. Sauté the paprika for about 1 minute and add the onions. Sauté for a few minutes and add the remaining ingredients, except the thickening, to the pot. Bring to a simmer and cool, covered, for about 45 minutes to one hour or until all is tender. Remove the chicken pieces and set aside.
- Mix the sour cream and flour well, using a wire whisk. Add 1 cup of the gravy from the pot to the cream and stir while it thickens. Return the chicken to the pot and restore the heat.
- Serve over Hungarian Dumplings.
- NOTE: for a very delicious Veal Paprikas, use the above recipe substituting 2 1/2 lbs. of veal stew meat for the chicken.