Northern Cook's Note:
This is a classic Indian dish for palak (spinach) chicken. Popeye would love this dish! This is a nutrient rich, low-fat and low-calorie meal that is great to have on rotation as part of a healthy diet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb cooked chicken, cut into bite sized pieces (I used skinless, boneless chicken thighs)
- 3 medium onions, diced
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced (or 12 smaller cloves garlic)
- 1 (7 ounce) can green chilies, peeled and diced
- 16 ounces frozen spinach (can use fresh)
- olive oil (for frying)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup nonfat yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1Boil the frozen spinach, according to package directions, until done. Place cooked spinach in a collindar and drain off excess water. Set aside.
- 2Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in Wok over medium heat.
- 3Add cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaf and stir fry for one miute.
- 4Add onions to spice mixture in wok and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- 5Add minced garlic, green chillies and coriander and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- 6Add spinach. Stir fry mixture for 4 minutes and remove from heat.
- 7Remove the bay leaf and cinnamon stick and set aside.
- 8Using a hand held blender, process the mixture in the Wok until it becomes the consistency of a paste -or- process in a food processor until the consistency of a paste and return to wok. You can return the cinnamon stick and bay leaf back into the wok mixture at this time.
- 9Turn heat back on and add yogurt to spinach paste and blend well.
- 10If you like heat, add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper and mix well.
- 11Add the cooked chicken to the spinach/yogurt mixture until chicken is heated through.
- 12Before serving, remove cinnamon stick and bay leaf and discard.
- 13Serve with basmati rice and Lavash bread. Salt to taste.
Browse Our Top Low Sat. Fat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Sat. Fat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Palak
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 206.6
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 57.1 mg
- Sodium 139.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 24.8 g