Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a classic Indian dish for palak (spinach) chicken. Popeye would love this dish! This is a nutrient rich, low-fat and low-calorie meal that is great to have on rotation as part of a healthy diet.
- 1 lb cooked chicken, cut into bite sized pieces (I used skinless, boneless chicken thighs)
- 3 medium onions, diced
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced (or 12 smaller cloves garlic)
- 1 (7 ounce) can green chilies, peeled and diced
- 16 ounces frozen spinach (can use fresh)
- olive oil (for frying)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat yogurt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Boil the frozen spinach, according to package directions, until done. Place cooked spinach in a collindar and drain off excess water. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in Wok over medium heat.
- Add cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaf and stir fry for one miute.
- Add onions to spice mixture in wok and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, green chillies and coriander and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add spinach. Stir fry mixture for 4 minutes and remove from heat.
- Remove the bay leaf and cinnamon stick and set aside.
- Using a hand held blender, process the mixture in the Wok until it becomes the consistency of a paste -or- process in a food processor until the consistency of a paste and return to wok. You can return the cinnamon stick and bay leaf back into the wok mixture at this time.
- Turn heat back on and add yogurt to spinach paste and blend well.
- If you like heat, add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper and mix well.
- Add the cooked chicken to the spinach/yogurt mixture until chicken is heated through.
- Before serving, remove cinnamon stick and bay leaf and discard.
- Serve with basmati rice and Lavash bread. Salt to taste.
Excellent! I did not have yogurt so I omitted that, and I added 1 cup (or so) of chicken broth so I'd have plenty of sauce for the rice. It tasted like I bought it from a restaurant. A+++