Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a very wonderful and tasty chicken and rice dish, everything is cooked in one skillet, so it is quite easy to make.
Top Review by LaraineC
We've just returned from a trip to Spain and I wanted to make a chicken paella dish similar to those we had loved there. This recipe was quite wonderful. I made it with boneless skinless chicken breasts and used Spanish olives. The only change I made to this recipe was that I added a few shakes of turmeric to give it that traditional yellowish tinge (in Spain, they use saffron). Definitely a keeper...my husband and I loved it!
- 2 -3 lbs chicken pieces (with skin on or off)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium onion, sliced into thin wedges
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 12 Spanish olives, green with pimento, sliced (or more if desired)
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted sweet peppers or 1 large roasted red pepper, cut into strips
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large deep non-stick skillet, or a paella pan with cover, warm olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Add the chicken, and brown on all sides.
- Remove chicken; set aside.
- Add in the onion and garlic, saute until translucent.
- Stir in the rice, cook for 1 minute.
- Add in tomatoes, chicken broth, capers and the cayenne pepper.
- Press chicken pieces down into the liquid.
- Cover the pan, and bring the liquid to a slow simmer; reduce the heat to very low.
- Cook until the rice is tender (about 30-40 minutes).
- Top with olives and peas; stir very gently.
- Arrange the pepper strips on top of the paella.
- Cover the pan again, cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the peas are hot.