Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I was trying to create a Pad Thai that used ingredients I already had in my kitchen. If you aren't gluten free just use regular soy sauce.
- 4 ounces rice noodles (Thai Kitchen brand is good)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 4 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (or add a teaspoon dried minced onion to sauce to re-hydrate)
- 1⁄2 cup bean sprouts
- 1⁄3 cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar or 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons gluten free soy sauce (or 1 tablespoon soy sauce plus 1 tablespoon fish sauce if you have it)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Place pad Thai sauce ingredients in small sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Add rice noodles; let stand 8-10 minutes or until noodles are soft but firm. Rinse under cold water; drain well. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok or large skillet. Beat egg with milk. Fry egg and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon oil to wok. Cook chicken thoroughly. Add rice noodles, pad thai sauce and onions. Stir fry 3-4 minutes or until noodles are tender. Stir in bean sprouts and scrambled egg.