Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
My mother-in-law made this and i had to have the receipe because the whole family loved it! It's a great use for left over chicken.
- 1 can refrigerated biscuit, like pillsbury grands
- 1⁄4 cup light margarine
- 1⁄4 cup celery, sliced or chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed cooked chicken breasts
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄4 cup corn kernel
- 1 (2 ounce) jar pimiento, drained
- 1⁄4 chopped green bell pepper
- Heat oven to 375 degrees and prepare and bake biscuits according to package.
- Melt margarine in large, deep skillet or pan.
- Add celery (and optional green pepper) and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in flour, bouillon and thyme.
- Gradually add milk, Cook over medium-high heat until mixture boils and begins to thicken, stirring often.
- Add peas, chicken, mushroomsand optional corn and pimiento, Heat thoroughly.
- To serve, split biscuits and Top with mixture.
We tried this last night, I did make a couple of changes. I used soy milk, and added a small amount of onion powder and made homemade biscuits. For us, I will add chopped onion with the celery and experiment with some perhaps tobasco, next time. It is a good recipe that one can use as is, or add flavor to ones taste.
I am not one for biscuits and gravy, but this looked interesting. It turned out to be very good. I omitted the celery, but did add the corn and pimentos (not the green peppers). I highly recommend adding the pimentos. They have such a great taste that went very well with the other flavors in this dish. This dish was also very filling!