Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Orzo is a tiny rice-shaped pasta, if not available, substitute any small pasta.This recipe comes courtesy Diabetic recipes for 1 or 2 people. Dietary exchanges 1 vegetable, 1 starch,1 1/2 lean meat
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth, fat-free
- 1 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄3 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄4 cup orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- black pepper
- Spray medium sauce pan with cooking spray, heat over medium-high heat; Add chicken , cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until no longer pink; remove from heat and set aside.
- In same saucepan combine broth, water, carrot, onion, orzo, ginger and turmeric; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 8 to 10 minutes or until orzo is tender.
- Stir in chicken and lemon juice; cook until hot; season to taste with pepper; Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with green onions, if desired.
Very good quick wholesome meal! Perfect quick meal for just ds and me when dh isn't home for supper. I used the colored orzo and instead of carrots (out of) used a chopped red and a green bell pepper. I was also out of green onions so used chives instead. Very pretty and delicious too! Thanks for sharing!