Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
A quick recipe to put together with fabulous taste!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -3 pieces chicken
- 1 small onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 8 -10 baby carrots, sliced
- 1 (48 ounce) carton chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1 dash parmesan cheese
- Remove skin from chicken and saute in olive oil.
- Dice onion and celery fine and add to pan.
- Saute until chicken is browned.
- Add carrots, chicken broth, water and tomato sauce.
- Simmer for about an hour or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from soup, remove bones and chop.
- Taste soup broth and add salt (if needed) and pepper.
- Add chicken and orzo to soup and cook for about 9 to 10 minutes or until pasta is done.
- Ladle into bowls and top with Parmesan cheese.
Excellent soup! I used three chicken breasts and put a bit extra orzo pasta, but otherwise, used the recipe as-is.
DH loved this soup. Only changes were to use 2 chopped chicken breasts and homemade chicken broth. Though orzo pasta is sometimes hard to find, it's well worth the hunt. It was a favorite of James Beard, who noted that it doesn't become gummy as rice may. Thanks, Marie, for a simple soup with complex flavors...the tomato sauce makes all the difference.