Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Mr. Food EasyCooking Magazine. This was really good. Hubby liked it and he is not a big pasta fan. Fast to make also. Enjoy!!!!!!!!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups water
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can cannellini or 1 (16 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- In a large skillet,heat oil over med.
- Add Chicken and brown 4-6 mins.
- Add orzo and garlic; saute 5-7mins or until orzo begins to brown.
- Add water,stewed tomatoes,beans,thyme,salt and black pepper.
- Cover and cook 15 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add broccoli.
- Cover and cook 5 to 10 mins,or until broccoli and orzo are tender and chicken is no longer pink.
This is a great easy weeknight meal, Braunda! After my first taste, I added some fresh Rosemary from the garden, which I think was a very flavorful addition. I also easily got six generous servings. Thank you so much for sharing.
I measured this out and got 10 heaping cups. I cooked the orzo in the skillet with the 2 cups water for 10 minutes before adding the tomatoes. Just in case the acid from the tomatoes would not let the pasta get tender. Then processed to add tomatoes, beans and broccoli cooking until everything was heated through. This is a meal in itself but to round it off I served some cottage cheese and my homemade pear sauce along side. DH thought you could add some tomato juice and turn it into a soup. Maybe so... Thanks Braunda for this VERY filling meal.
This was good. Next time I might cut back a bit on the stewed tomatoes, and I might put the beans in a bit later (personal preference - I like my beans a bit al dente). I'd use more broccoli, too. It added a lot to the dish, despite the skepticism of who have reviewed this!