Prep 35 mins
Cook 40 mins
This dish may be prepared well in advance and refrigerated until ready to bake. Cooked turkey may be used in place of the chicken, also I have added frozen peas to this casserole...this is a fantastic-tasting casserole that you are sure to enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic (optional)
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted (can add 2 cans if desired for more sauce)
- 1 cup canned mushroom, drained (or more if desired)
- 1 (2 ounce) jar chopped pimiento, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken (or turkey)
- 2 cups ricotta cheese (can use cottage cheese if desired)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 3 -4 tablespoons melted butter or 3 -4 tablespoons margarine
- Set oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- In a skillet, saute the onion, green pepper and chopped garlic in butter until tender (not brown); remove from heat.
- Stir in the soup(s), mushrooms, pimientos and basi, salt and pepper (to taste); set aside (note: if you prefer more sauce, add in another can of soup).
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked noodles, cooked chicken, all the cheeses; add in the mushroom/pimiento sauce; mix well to combine.
- Transfer to a prepared casserole dish.
- Mix the 1 cup of bread crumbs with the melted butter; stir to combine; set aside.
- Bake, uncovered for 40 minutes, remove from oven, sprinkle with the breadcrumbs.
- Bake for another 15 minutes longer.