Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This dish may be prepared well in advance and refrigerated until ready to bake. Cooked turkey may be used in place of the chicken, also I have added frozen peas to this casserole...this is a fantastic-tasting casserole that you are sure to enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic (optional)
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted (can add 2 cans if desired for more sauce)
- 1 cup canned mushroom, drained (or more if desired)
- 1 (2 ounce) jar chopped pimiento, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken (or turkey)
- 2 cups ricotta cheese (can use cottage cheese if desired)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 3 -4 tablespoons melted butter or 3 -4 tablespoons margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- In a skillet, saute the onion, green pepper and chopped garlic in butter until tender (not brown); remove from heat.
- Stir in the soup(s), mushrooms, pimientos and basi, salt and pepper (to taste); set aside (note: if you prefer more sauce, add in another can of soup).
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked noodles, cooked chicken, all the cheeses; add in the mushroom/pimiento sauce; mix well to combine.
- Transfer to a prepared casserole dish.
- Mix the 1 cup of bread crumbs with the melted butter; stir to combine; set aside.
- Bake, uncovered for 40 minutes, remove from oven, sprinkle with the breadcrumbs.
- Bake for another 15 minutes longer.