Recipe by Cooking CF
This is my version of my husband's favorite casserole. It is a great way to use up the leftovers from the holiday turkey. You can also use the meat from the ready to eat rotisserie chickens availabe in grocery stores. Traditionally my mother-in-law cooked the chickens in a large stock pot with vegetables and poultry seasoning and picked the meat from the bones for the casserole and used the stock for soups.
Top Review by cookies4paige
really good! i didn't add the wine because it wasn't listed in the directions and i didn't realize it until i had already put it all in the baking pan. i did add extra mushrooms because we love them and i added a squeeze of lemon juice (which is how i remember eating this as a kid). we love it with the lemon! also, i would probably cut the baking time down to 20 min, because the noodles around the edge of the pan got a little crunchy. over all, really yummy, kids and grownups both loved it.
- 3 -4 cups chicken, cooked and cubed in 1 inch pieces. (or turkey)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 -2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 8 ounces spaghetti noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmesan cheese, grated (divided use)
Directions See How It's Made
- Turn on overn to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in large skillet. Saute mushrooms 5 minutes until liquid has evaporated and add shallots. Saute 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in flour, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Gradually add the cream and 1 cup of the chicken broth, Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Add chicken and stir well, if seems too thick (it should be the consistency of a light cream sauce) add more broth. Stir in parmesan cheese.
- Mix spagetti noodles with oil and place in a 2 1/2 quart casserole or lasagna pan. Top with chichen mixture. Bake covered for 40 minutes,.
- Remove cover and top with 1/2 cup parmesan cheese. Bake an additional 20-30 minutes until hot and bubbly.