1/4 Photos of Chicken or Turkey Pot Pies
I found this recipe in he Spring 2009 edition of Cooking for 2. I made a couple of changes and really loved that the recipe makes 4 pot pies--2 for now and 2 for later. Very easy and economical.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 small potato, peeled, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 cup low-fat milk, or
- 1/3 cup powdered milk, reconsituted with 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken, or
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1In a large saucepan, saute the onion, carrot, potato and celery in the butter until tender; sprinkle in the flour and seasonings until blended, cook for a couple of minutes to incorporate the flour.
- 2Gradually add in the milk and broth; bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3Stir in the chicken/turkey and peas; divide mixture evenly between 4 ungreased 5 inch pie plates.
- 4Divide the pastry dough into 4 equal portions and on a lightly floured surface roll each into a 6-inch circle. Place each circle on top of the filling, trim, seal and flute edges.
- 5Bake in a 375 degree oven for 18 to 20 minuts or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- 6If desired, prior to baking, wrap the pies in foil and place in freezer for up to 3 months. Remove from freezer 30 minutes before baking, cover edges of the crust loosely with foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
- 7Remove the foil and bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or untilgolden brown and filling is bubbly.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken or Turkey Pot Pies
Serving Size: 1 (437 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 717.7
- Calories from Fat 321
- Total Fat 35.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.9 g
- Cholesterol 141.9 mg
- Sodium 520.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 49.9 g