Recipe by ChipotleChick
This delicious recipe is a great use for Thanksgiving leftovers or just plain leftover chicken! My kids love these, and all of my friends beg me for the recipe! The crescent rolls make a more buttery popover, the hand-made dough is thicker in texture.
- 1 package pilsbury crescent roll (OR use following recipe for homemade)
homemade cresent rolls
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup cooked turkey or 1 cup cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1⁄4 cup canned mushroom slices
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped green onion
- mayonnaise, to moisten
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- For the filling mix the turkey or chicken, cheese, mushrooms, green onion, mayonnaise, Salt, and Pepper until well blended If Using Crescent Rolls: Take dough out of tube.
- Flatten each triangle as much as possible, then spoon filling into center and fold over corners.
- Now skip to step 12
- Dough: Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt, then add the oil and cut it in until mixture is like a coarse meal.
- Add the milk all at once and stir until it forms a soft ball.
- Turn the dough out on a floured board and knead lightly 20-25 times.
- Roll the dough out until it is 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut into 4-inch squares or rounds and place about 2 1/2 T.
- of the filling in the center of each.
- Fold each square or round over and seal (a little water to moisten helps here).
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until turnovers are light brown at the edges.