1 hr 25 mins
In 'From a Southern Oven' by Jean Anderson
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 946.36 ml bread cubes, 1/2-inch (8-10 slices firm-textured white bread)
- 3.69 ml rubbed sage
- 1.23 ml salt, to taste
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 59.14 ml unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 large celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 473.18 ml chicken broth
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 946.36 ml diced cooked chicken (rotisserie or left-over roasted) or 946.36 ml turkey (rotisserie or left-over roasted)
- 29.58 ml coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2Spritz shallow 2-quart casserole or baking pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- 3Toss bread cubes with sage, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
- 4Melt 2 tbs butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add onion and celery, and cook 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- 5Add to bread mixture.
- 6Lightly beat 1 egg with 1/2 cup broth in a small bowl; add to bread mixture, and toss well.
- 7Pat bread mixture in even layer over bottom of casserole, slide onto middle oven rack, and bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes until beginning to brown.
- 8Meanwhile, whisk remaining broth and flour in a medium saucepan until smooth.
- 9Add remaining butter and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until consistency of light cream.
- 10Lightly whisk second egg in small bowl, blend in about 1/2 cup hot thickened sauce, then stir back into pan.
- 11Bring just to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- 12Taste for salt and pepper, adjusting as needed, then fold in chicken.
- 13Spoon chicken mixture over dressing in casserole and sprinkle with parsley.
- 14Slide onto middle oven rack and bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes longer, until bubbly and beginning to brown.
- 15Serve hot with a simply seasoned green vegetable--asparagus, snap beans, or broccoli.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken (Or Turkey) and Dressing Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 259.5
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 114.2 mg
- Sodium 433.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 22.2 g