Recipe by Chef AprilAllYear
This is the Chicken a la King recipe from my first cookbook, a Betty Crocker version, circa 1980. The pages are dog eared and/or missing, full of rips and tears, and thoroughly used. I am submitting this recipe to keep it past the life of my old beloved cookbook. I have used this recipe for day after Thanksgiving turkey leftovers since I began making my own turkey. It's just as important now to my family as the Thanksgiving bird in its first form.
- 1 (14 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained (reserve liquid)
- 1 small green bell peppers, chopped or 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄3 cup margarine or 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups hot water
- 2 cups cut up chicken or 2 cups turkey
- 1 (4 ounce) jarwhole pimiento, chopped
- toast or hot mashed potatoes or waffles or rice or noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook and stir mushrooms and green pepper in margarine or butter over medium heat 5 minutes, remove from heat.
- Blend in flour, salt and pepper.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is bubbly; remove from heat.
- Stir in instant bouillon, milk, water and reserved mushroom liquid.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken and pimiento; heat through.
- Serve over toast, hot mashed potatoes, waffles, rice or noodles.