Recipe by Chef Larz in Pennsboro, WV
A light one dish meal loaded with vegetables and lightly seasoned chicken. You can easily substitute tofu for the chicken for a vegetarian version.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, sliced and cut into strips
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 2 inch long strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or equivalent dried and reconstituted)
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium sliced yellow squash, cut into strips
- 1 medium sliced zucchini, cut into strips
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch strips (or substitute 14 oz firm tofu)
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute chicken (or Tofu) in small fry pan coated with vegetable spray and seasoned with poultry seasoning. Cook until no longer pink and set aside.
- Place onions, carrots, and garlic in non stick skillet with oil and small amount of water (3-4 Tbls). Cover and cook just until carrots begin to tenderize but are still crunchy.
- Place squash, zucchini, and bell pepper on top of onions and carrots. Cover and simmer, stir once or twice and cook just until vegetables are crisp tender.
- Add tomatoes, basil and lemon pepper; stir and cook 1-2 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Remove from heat and serve vegetables over rice and top with the chicken (or Tofu).