Recipe by amyzacks
This recipe is low fat and amazing. It doesn't use ground meat like most stuffed pepper recipes and can easily be made vegetarian. I found it from Better Home and Gardens and modified it to my taste.
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1 1⁄4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable broth, for veg. version
- 4 small bell peppers (any color) or 2 large bell peppers
- 3 ounces low-fat parmesan cheese or 3 ounces romano cheese
- 1 cup asparagus
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken or 1 cup extra firm tofu, for vegetarian version
- 1⁄2 cup sliced onion
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts or 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- For Filling:.
- - In a 2-quart saucepan, combine rice and broth; bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 minute.
- - Saute oniosns in skillet and set aside.
- At the same time, cut tops off peppers. Remove membranes and seeds. In a 4-quart pot, immerse peppers in boiling water, boil peppers for at least 3-5 minute Remove, drain, and set aside for later.
- Stir asparagus, chicken cubes, and onions into rice. Cover and cook 5 min more. Stir in yogurt, cheese, and nuts.
- Spoon filling into peppers.
- Garnish with parsley if desired.