Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
This recipe was created by Kraft. I've made a couple of small changes to the original.
Top Review by Annacia
This was a grand dinner tonight. I used the shrimp option and I made a vinaigrette with some oregano in it as I'm not at all familiar with the ask for dressing. The seasoning really elevated this dish. Made for ZWT 8. :D
- 1 cup basmati rice, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced gingerroot
- 1⁄2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces or 1⁄2 lb shrimp, deveined, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 cups 25% -less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup sundried tomato & oregano salad dressing
- 1 cup peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse rice and place in medium bowl; add enough cold water to cover rice and let stand 10 minute.
- While rice is soaking, heat oil in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat; add cumin seed; cook and stir 30 sec.
- Stir in onions, garlic and ginger; cook 5 minute or until crisp-tender, stirring constantly.
- If using chicken add now; cook and stir 2 minute (If using shrimp, add at the same time as you add the rice).
- Drain rice and add to chicken mixture with remaining ingredients; mix well; cover; bring to boil.
- Simmer on medium-low heat 25 minutes, add peas and cook another 5 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed (some rice cooks more quickly to be sure you don't overcook).
- Remove from heat; let stand 5 minute.