1 hr 20 mins
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
This recipe was created by Kraft. I've made a couple of small changes to the original.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup basmati rice, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced gingerroot
- 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces or 1/2 lb shrimp, deveined, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups 25% -less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup sundried tomato & oregano salad dressing
- 1 cup peas
- 1Rinse rice and place in medium bowl; add enough cold water to cover rice and let stand 10 minute.
- 2While rice is soaking, heat oil in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat; add cumin seed; cook and stir 30 sec.
- 3Stir in onions, garlic and ginger; cook 5 minute or until crisp-tender, stirring constantly.
- 4If using chicken add now; cook and stir 2 minute (If using shrimp, add at the same time as you add the rice).
- 5Drain rice and add to chicken mixture with remaining ingredients; mix well; cover; bring to boil.
- 6Simmer on medium-low heat 25 minutes, add peas and cook another 5 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed (some rice cooks more quickly to be sure you don't overcook).
- 7Remove from heat; let stand 5 minute.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken or Shrimp Biryani
Serving Size: 1 (273 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 332.2
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 36.3 mg
- Sodium 353.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 20.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sundried tomato & oregano salad dressing