1/1 Photo of Chicken or Prawn Javanese Beer Curry
This is a smooth, creamy and fruity curry recipe I found in the October 1979 Bon Appetit magazine. Someday that old magazine will fall apart completely and I'll feel much better if this recipe is recorded somewhere.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 -4 tablespoons curry powder (I use Yeo's Malaysian, nice and hot)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup beer
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 cups baby shrimp or 3 cups prawns, shelled and cooked or 3 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
- 1Melt butter over medium heat and brown onion, garlic and ginger until golden.
- 2Combine curry powder and flour and add to onion, stirring to blend. Reduce heat to low and cook 2-3 minutes.
- 3Add Broth, beer, apple, chutney, tomato paste, honey and lemon juice. Blend well and simmer on low about 25 minutes.
- 4Let cool slightly then transfer to food processor and blend until smooth. Strain through a sieve to make a perfectly smooth sauce.
- 5Return to pan and stir in cream. Add shrimp, prawns or chicken and heat through gently.
- 6Season with salt and garnish with green onion, chopped peanuts or roasted coconut. Lovely with coconut rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken or Prawn Javanese Beer Curry
Serving Size: 1 (282 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 384.5
- Calories from Fat 284
- Total Fat 31.5 g
- Saturated Fat 19.3 g
- Cholesterol 104.4 mg
- Sodium 312.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: