Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 24 tortilla chips
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheese
- cooked chicken (optional) or mushroom (optional)
- Saute onion and peppers in margarine until tender.
- Add soups and broth and simmer for five minutes.
- Add tomatoes and chips and simmer for ten minutes.
- Top with cheese and serve.
This was pretty good considering how easy it was. I didn't have green peppers so I used celery instead. I also used diced tomatoes instead of Rotel and added some cayenne pepper and cumin powder for spice. I still thought it was lacking in something, so I also added garlic, pepper, and salt. I made it with chicken and left out the chips and put them in when serving so they wouldn't get soggy. I also just went ahead and added the cheese in the pot. Thanks for a good recipe to play with, Julie! (Next time I think I will omit the cream of mushroom soup and replace with cheese or nacho cheese soup!)I like the creaminess this soup had; I'm a big fan of tortilla soup, so I've tried many and made alot, this is pretty good considering you mainly open up cans and put them together!
This soup was great! Many of my friends that tried it thought it was from a restraunt. It was so easy too!!.