Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe works not just for chicken, but for any meat or fowl. I make this whenever I can a bunch of chicken, but I've also made pork broth. You can use the defatted drippings after roasting/baking meat or fowl. If the drippings are already salty, omit the salt. The salt is in this recipe for flavor, not for preservation. When I can broth, I add 1 tsp. salt per quart, but it's not necessary. If you are on a low-sodium diet, just omit it. Make sure and defat the broth (either by chilling and skimming, or use a gravy separator) or the fat in it could cause your jars to not seal properly. Note: A pressure cooker is required for this recipe. They're not hard to use (READ THE MANUAL!!!)...just don't walk away from it and leave it. You hear horror stories about people that have imbedded their pressure-cooker lid in the ceiling. I can tell you without even talking to them that it's because they've walked away from the pressure cooker and let the pressure build up to the point that it literally explodes. I started canning with my mother when I was a kid (30 plus years ago) and have never had or seen that happen. Just understand that you're going to have to babysit the pressure cooker and adjust the hot-plate (heat) accordingly to keep the pressure cooker gauge where it should be. It can be monotonous, but it's worth it. The yield is noted for 1 quart, but it will depend on how much you're making and how many quarts/pints your canner holds.
- Add the salt to clean, sterilized jars.
- Fill the jars, with broth that has been heated to the boiling point and kept hot, to the top of the "shoulder" of the jar.
- Carefully wipe rim with a damp cloth, using pressure to push down as you wipe.
- Put a clean, new seal (that has been heated in hot water) on the jar, and seal with a ring; don't tighten it too much.
- Pressure cook at 11 pounds pressure for 90 minutes for quarts, 75 minutes for pints.
- Do not start the timer until the pressure cooker has reached 11 pounds pressure.
Exactly the way I make mine!! So convenient to have on hand!!