Recipe by knobbyknee
This recipe was given to me from a friend years ago. She made it one time for a function and I thought it was incredible! She photo copied it out of her cookbook and some how I ended up washing it in my jeans pocket. But it worked when I made it from the very clean folded paper.
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 diced carrot
- 2 diced celery ribs
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups lamb broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup diced tart apple (about 1 apple)
- 1⁄2 cup boiled rice
- 1⁄2 cup diced cooked chicken or 1⁄2 cup lamb, more if wanted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1⁄2 cup hot cream or 1⁄2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute lightly (do not brown) the onion, carrot, celery and butter.
- Stir in the flour and curry powder and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Pour in the broth and bay leaf and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Next add the apples, rice, meat, salt, pepper, thyme, and lemon rind, simmer for 15 more minutes.
- Immediately before serving, stir in the hot cream or coconut milk.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.