Recipe by pavut
An easy biryani, be sure not to overcook the rice! Not so much authentic, but simplified.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs lamb or 2 1⁄2 lbs chicken
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon hot chili powder
- 5 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 pint plain yogurt
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1⁄2 lbs rice
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron strand
- 2 teaspoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the rice and then soak for one hour before cooking.
- Cut meat cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Place in bowl with spices, yogurt, lemon juice, garlic and salt.
- Fill large pan 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil.
- Add rice & remove from heat after six minutes.
- Drain thoroughly.
- Mix saffron in hot milk.
- In a large oven pan, add the meat and yogurt mixture.
- cover with the rice.
- Pour in the the saffron milk.
- Put in the oven for 1 hour or more.
- After 30 minutes, reduce heat.
- Stir before serving and sprinkle remaining onions on top.